Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Classes

I had a nice time with my gal pals the other day. Though I know Jai baba doesn't mind fluffy pillow fights and shopping stories (believe me, I did neither of these. Never will.) but- though they include a very interesting card game, jokes about my vegetarianism, and falling oover each other while wrapped in thick blankets - I won't go into all that. What I am here to talk about is my train journey on the way back home.

My friend lives in Andheri. Since it's accessible by the Western Line Railway, I had to go all the way to Dadar by Central Line, then cross over and double back to Andheri. I was tired enough when I got into the wrong train at Dadar on my way back, but after I got into the right one, something really pissed me off. A quarrel had started in the compartment. Quarrels are rare in First Class, but when they do come up, civilised women fight like no barbaric ones you've seen before. As usual, it was over seating space. I don't understand why the Railway ministers don't enlarge the Central Ladies' First Class compartments like in the Western Railway, but that's another matter altogether.

After a while, as I was waiting in line to alight at Mulund, I heard the girl who'd been quarrelling come up behind me with her friend. She was still ranting. I listened in (What? Admit it. You'd have done it too) and was appalled to hear what had really happened. Apparently, a Second-class-dikhne-wali female had got into our compartment. As always, the women in the train bristled at her and asked her to show them her ticket. Turns out she did have a First Class ticket.

The woman behind me had a problem with her Second Class behaviour. Angrez chale gayein, inko chhod gayein.

Are we really like this? I hate to admit it, but whenever a cheap-sari-clad, dark woman gets into the compartment, I have a nagging doubt in my mind as to whether she is allowed where she is. I never think at first sight that perhaps she is a hard-working, self-reliant woman who has bought her ticket through her own earnings. Some feminist I am. Until we change our mentality, progress - change - cannot be achieved. Are some prejudices so ingrained that sheer will power cannot uproot them? I am a feminist because I want to be one. I am a vegetarian because I want to be one. But again it comes down to Nature vs. Nurture.

For some reason, Nuture always wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment