Monday, December 5, 2011

The Anti-masculist Web

Sharvari told me today how her mum reacted to her decision of coming back to college for a degree in English Literature once she's done with one in Psychology    Aai's aai seems to have been pleased by the fact that Sharvari Aai isn't concerned just about degrees, but about education as a holistic concept. One year spent on learning something newer and/or deeper is certainly not a waste of time.




I wonder, at this moment, how my mum would react were I to tell her I want to do something of that sort. Am I allowed to assume? I have never asked her anything of that sort, though I have told her an umpteen number of times that I am going to remain studying at least till when I am 35. And she's reacted to it as if it were a joke    laughing, telling me how I might want to work by then (not that I said what I said in a very serious tone :P ). But I'll be asking my dad at the end of this post to gauge his response. Fingers crossed to that. :)




One must here realise that I come from a society where social responsibilities are hugely segregated according to sex. Earning would be expected of men in their twenties while only would be so much as appreciated of women of the same age (or any age, for that matter). Thus, it is not just the women who end up losing out on a lot of opportunities, but also the men    at an age when people in the more developed countries might be experimenting fields and disciplines (I am considering here that people have a general urge to gain knowledge), Indians are stuck with and unwilling to reach out beyond what education they already have obtained    out of what psychologists call learnt helplessness.




But I am going to fight my way out of this morass.




P.S. My dad considers pursuing another course along with the one after my first degree to be an intelligent move    he thinks about how I can avoid wasting a year. 


P.P.S. I'm sad. :'(

No comments:

Post a Comment